Barricade Situation

0 Comment

The following police story is an account of what occurred in the most peaceful and crime-free areas of our state. This story goes to show that our law enforcement personnel never know what’s going to happen on any given day. We regret that this incident resulted in a loss of life but are thankful that no law enforcement or other innocent life ended.

This story began around 11 AM on 27 December 2018. Troopers from the Cumberland Barrack responded to a 9-1-1 call, reporting a break-in at a residential home on Piney Mountain Road.  The request was made by a family member who noticed an open door at the house.  When troopers arrived, they discovered the side door of the house was open. Troopers gave several verbal commands before entering the house and then as they came into the residence heard a single gunshot. They subsequently, following training and protocol, backed out of the house and immediately established a perimeter around the home, now knowing for sure that the suspect was armed.

Additional personnel from the Cumberland and McHenry barracks responded to the scene and called for the Special Tactical Assault Team Element (STATE Team), along with negotiators from the Maryland State Police.  Sheriff deputies from the Allegany County Sheriff’s Office and police from the Cumberland City Police Department and the Maryland Natural Resources Police also responded to the scene.

Several attempts were made to establish communication with the suspect inside the home.  Police made numerous efforts, including the use of flash bangs, to entice the suspect to exit the house.

After obtaining a search warrant, the S.T.A.T.E. Team reentered the residence at 4:15 p.m.  The gunman was found lying on the floor with an apparent gunshot wound. Police believe he was alone in the house at the time of the incident.

The suspect was identified as Michael W. Davis, 39, of Cumberland, Maryland.  Davis was pronounced deceased by EMS personnel on scene. An autopsy will be conducted by the Office of the Chief Medical Examiner.

No injuries to civilians or law enforcement personnel were reported. No shots were fired by law enforcement personnel.  This type of story often goes unnoticed by the media, but it is all too real to the men and women who serve in law enforcement. I’m sure the officers involved will never forget what happened that day.