Jan. 2018 Meeting Minutes
M.T.A. Lodge 88 Minutes
January 9th, 2018
Barrack “O” Hagerstown, MD
In attendance: (12) Vice President W. Talbert, Secretary R. Shaffer, Treasurer D. Seiler, D. Bittinger, A. Swope, C. West, E. Burke, J. Hite, S. Lapinski, S. Miller, A. Thomas, S. Stone
Are you an MTA lodge 88 member and have an event, product or service to advertise? You can advertise on this site and it's FREE! Contact Contact us for more details »
This meeting, held at the Hagerstown Barrack, was called to order by Vice President Talbert at 6:00 pm. Reading of November minutes waived after motion from Treasurer D. Seiler, second by A. Thomas
- President Baker attended the funeral of Kirk Daugherty in Salisbury, MD, at the time of this meeting. He advised Vice President Talbert to explain his votes on two items at the state executive board meeting. His first vote related to annual disbursing of funds into the local lodge stipend. He voted for allowing an approximate 50% increase per year. He also voted against a motion for a proposed increase of pay for the MTA administrative secretary. The finance committee recommended a 7 % increase in pay but left out any justification for the increase. President Baker was not against the raise, but did not believe it to be appropriate to vote yes without further discussion.
There was unanimous support of the President Baker’s decisions from all members of Lodge 88 in attendance.
- Thomas advised that Master Trooper Jaime Leyton’s K9 dog recently had major surgery due to illness. MSP paid the majority of bills related to the illness, however, M/Tpr. Leyton paid $325.53 out of pocket for prescriptions for the K-9. These prescriptions were not paid by MSP or insurance. The motion to reimburse M/Tpr. Leyton from the K-9 fund was made by A. Thomas, second by Vice President Talbert. Unanimous approval by the members. M/Tpr. Leyton and his K-9 are assigned to the Cumberland Barrack.
- Swope advised that the department is now charging MSP retirees a fee of $15 for a retirement ID card. This fee was recently increased from $10. A. Swope made a motion for the reason of the fee be investigated. Second by Treasurer D. Seiler. Unanimous approval by the members.
- Nothing to report
- The Christmas party was held on December 12th at 5:30 PM, at Golden Corral. There was a good showing of members.
Vice President’s Report:
- Nothing to report.
Working Fund: $4,127.23
Death Fund: $4,230.00
Community Fund: $3582.94
K9 Fund: $2551.29
Meal for meeting: $49.75 (Reimbursement check made to Secretary Shaffer)
- Nothing to report
Good of the Order:
- The Welfare Fund was proposed to be changed relating to flowers or a fruit basket being sent to those being admitted to a hospital or to the family of a deceased member. The proposed change is to have a $25 cap for members only. The number of times issued per year per person would be decided by the administrator of the program. Motion by Treasurer D. Seiler, second by E. Burke. Unanimous approval by the members.
The motion was made by Vice President Talbert to adjourn, second by S. Miller. The meeting was adjourned at 6:26 pm.
Next MTA Lodge 88 Meeting: The next meeting will be held on February 13th at 1800 hours.
Respectfully submitted by Secretary R. Shaffer